Article I - Terms of Reference
1. The Intergovernmental Technical Working Group on Forest Genetic Resources (the Working Group) shall:
review the situation and issues related to biodiversity in the area of forest genetic resources and advise and make recommendations to the Commission on these matters;
consider the progress made in implementing the Commission's programme of work on forest genetic resources as well as any other matters referred to the Working Group by the Commission;
and report to the Commission on its activities.
2. In order for the Working Group to carry out this mandate, the Commission will assign specific tasks to the Working Group.
Article II - Composition
The Working Group shall be composed of twenty-seven Member Nations from the following regions:
5 from Africa
5 from Europe
5 from Asia
5 from Latin America and the Caribbean
3 from the Near East
2 from North America
2 from Southwest Pacific.
Article III - Election and term of office of Members
The Members of the Working Group shall be elected at each regular session of the Commission and serve until the next regular session of the Commission. They shall be eligible for re-election.
Article IV - Officers
- The Working Group shall elect its Chairperson and one or more Vice-Chairpersons from among the representatives of Members of the Working Group at the beginning of each session. These officers shall remain in office until the next session of the Working Group and be eligible for re-election.
- The Chairperson, or a Vice-Chairperson in the absence of a Chairperson, shall preside over the meetings of the Working Group and exercise such other functions as may be required to facilitate its work.
Article V - Sessions
The Commission shall decide on the timing and duration of the sessions of the Working Group, when required. In any case, the Working Group shall hold no more than one regular session annually.
Article VI - Observers
- Members of the Commission which are not Members of the Working Group may participate, upon request to the Commission Secretariat, in the work of the Working Group in an observer capacity.
- The Working Group, or the bureau on behalf of the Working Group, may invite experts, as well as representatives of specialized international organizations, to attend its meetings.
Article VII - Application of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
- The provisions of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture shall apply mutatis mutandis to all matters not specifically dealt with under the present Statutes.