The Internship Programme is a learning opportunity aimed at attracting talented young women and men who are strongly motivated to share their new perspectives, innovative ideas and latest research experience in FAO’s domains.
The Internship Programme provides selected students, enrolled in an under-graduate or post-graduate degree programme or recent graduates, with the opportunity to supplement their academic knowledge with a practical work experience in a field related to the work of FAO. It will enable them to gain a better understanding of FAO’s mandate and programmes. At the same time, the Programme provides FAO with the assistance of qualified individuals specializing in relevant fields in connection to FAO's Strategic Framework and to UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Nationality: candidates must be nationals of FAO Members.
- Education: candidates must be students enrolled in an under-graduate or graduate degree programme in a bona fide educational institution at the time of application, or recent graduates.
- Languages: candidates must have working knowledge of at least one FAO official language (English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Russian). Knowledge of a second FAO official language will be considered an asset.
- Age: candidates should be aged between 21 and 30 at the start of their internship (i.e. internship should start before the candidate turns 31).
- Skills: candidates should be able to adapt to an international multicultural environment, have good communication skills and be knowledgeable in the use of basic computer programmes.
- Residence/Visa status: candidates should have appropriate residence or immigration status in the country of assignment prior to the start of the internship assignment.
- Family relation: candidates with family members (defined as brother, sister, mother, father) employed by FAO under any type of contract are not eligible for the Internship Programme.
The duration of an internship assignment is between 3 and 11 months.
How to apply
Apply to the “Call for Expression of Interest”, which is published on our career portal.
Interested candidates should apply online through the career portal enclosing a motivation letter and evidence of attendance at a recognized University.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Candidates who are not selected before the closing date and wish to be continuously considered for an assignment are requested to re-apply to the new Calls.
For more details, please visit the Internship FAQ page.