HLPE 3rd Note on Critical, Emerging and Enduring Issues - consultation on the V0 draft
The Committee on World Food Security, the foremost intergovernmental and international evidence-based and multi-stakeholder platform related to food security and nutrition, mandated its High Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition (HLPE) to “identify emerging issues, and help members prioritize future actions and attentions on key focal areas” (CFS reform Document, 2009). In October 2013, the CFS requested the HLPE to produce a Note on critical and/or emerging issues (CEI) affecting food security and nutrition (FSN). This request came in the context of the CFS’s own ongoing discussion on the selection and prioritization of its activities. The HLPE published this first CEI note in August 2014. In October 2015, at its 42nd Plenary Session, the CFS decided that this HLPE note shall be updated at least every four years, depending on funding availability and the HLPE workload, and released in due time to be used at the starting point for the process of elaboration of the following CFS multi-year programme of work (MYPoW). The second note on CEI (2017) informed the MYPoW 2020-2023. The HLPE is now developing the third note, which has been renamed “Note on critical, emerging and enduring issues” (CEEI), recognizing that some of the key issues affecting food security and nutrition continue to exist, to inform the preparation of the MYPoW 2024-2027.
This draft note identifies seven key issues affecting FSN (presented in no particular order):
1. Building resilient supply chains for FSN
2. Urban and peri-urban food systems
3. Conflicts and the fragility of food systems
4. Revitalizing climate policies for FSN
5. Recognizing the role and rights of food system workers
6. Building a meaningful interface for diverse knowledges and practices for FSN
7. Emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases challenging FSN.
This V0 draft of the CEEI note is published for e-consultation on the FSN forum platform from 25 April to 17 May 2022.
Questions to guide the e-consultation on the V0 draft of the HLPE CEEI note
With this e-consultation, the HLPE Steering Committee is seeking your feedback.
In particular, you are invited to:
1. Share your feedback on the proposed list of selected critical, emerging and enduring issues (CEEI):
- Are the seven CEEI identified by the HLPE the most important issues affecting food security and nutrition, globally and in specific contexts?
- Are there any other key issues that should be added and elaborated? If yes, please provide a justification of why they are “critical”, together with relevant literature and data.
- All the issues are interlinked, however, for the purpose of analysis and focus they have been presented separately. Please let us know if in your view some of the issues could be combined, or if the linkages between different issues should be further strengthened in the analysis.
2. Share your inputs on one or more of the seven CEEI listed:
- Are the drivers and trends identified fully capturing the link of each respective CEEI with FSN outcomes?
- Is there any aspect of direct or indirect FSN outcome that should be further elaborated?
- Is there any missing reference to key literature and data?
- Is the list of questions identified for each CEEI adequate to guide the development of a report on the topic? Would you suggest any additional questions or dimensions that should be further elaborated?
We thank in advance all the contributors for reading, commenting and providing inputs on this V0 draft of the CEEI 3rd Note. We look forward to a rich and fruitful consultation!
Évariste Nicolétis, HLPE Coordinator
Paola Termine, HLPE Project Officer
This activity is now closed. Please contact [email protected] for any further information.