Thailand began its process of developing dietary guidelines in 1996. The guidelines were published in 1998. The guidelines were developed by the Ministry of Public Health and universities.
Food Based Dietary Guidelines
- Eat a variety of foods from each of the 5 food groups and maintain proper weight.
- Eat adequate amount of rice or alternative carbohydrate sources.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits regularly.
- Eat fish, lean meat, eggs, legumes and pulses regularly.
- Drink milk in appropriate quality and quantity for one's age.
- Eat a diet containing appropriate amounts of fat.
- Avoid sweet and salty foods.
- Eat clean and safe food.
- Avoid or reduce the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
MANUAL. NUTRITION FLAG. HEALTHY EATING FOR THAIS.
For good health, eat a variety of foods in appropriate amounts.
Working Group on Food-Based Dietary Guidelines For Thai People.
Nutrition Division, Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health.
Thailand , December 2001.