International Day of Forests 2017. Special Event: Forests and Energy
Forests and trees absorb the sun’s energy and store it by turning it into wood —the world’s most used source of renewable energy. While we have been using this energy source to cook and heat our homes since the discovery of fire, today’s scientific advances are opening up even more uses, like turning wood waste into liquid biofuels that fuel cars and airplanes.
Using wood harvested from sustainably managed forests keeps a balance for future generations and ensures that wood remains a fuel of the future.
Join us in celebrating the International Day of Forests:
· Screening of the 2017 International Day of Forests video spot: "Forests: nature’s powerhouse"
· Opening remarks, José Graziano da Silva, FAO Director-General
· Roles of forests and green energy in the implementation of the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) under the Paris Agreement His Excellency Jioji Konusi Konrote, President of the Republic of Fiji
· The forests and energy nexus: key to sustainable development and resilient livelihoods, Monique Barbut, Executive Secretary, United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
· FAO publication launch: "The charcoal transition: greening charcoal value chains to mitigate climate change and improve local livelihoods" and presentation of FAO’s action agenda on forests and green energy, Eva Müller, Director, Forestry Policy and Resources Division, FAO Forestry Department
· A vision of our common energy future: an innovator’s perspective, Riikka Joukio, Senior Vice President, Metsä Group
· Floor open for discussion
· Closing remarks, Maria Helena Semedo, Deputy Director-General, Climate and Natural Resources, FAO
About FAO webcast
The FAO webcast page provides live transmissions of events held at FAO headquarters.
(The interpretation of proceedings serves to facilitate communication and does not constitute an authentic or verbatim record of the proceedings. Only the original speech is authentic)