UN Decade of Action on Nutrition 2016-2025: priority actions on nutrition for the next five years
The UN Decade of Action on Nutrition 2016-2025 (Nutrition Decade) proclaimed by the UN General Assembly Resolution 70/259 in April 2016, was established under the normative framework of the Second International Conference on Nutrition (ICN2) held in November 2014 and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Nutrition Decade aligns on-going efforts of countries and all stakeholders to act across six inter linked Action Areas, which have been based on the commitments of the ICN2 Rome Declaration on Nutrition and the recommendations included in its Framework for Action:
- Sustainable, resilient food systems for healthy diets.
- Aligned health systems providing universal coverage of essential nutrition actions.
- Social protection and nutrition education.
- Trade and investment for improved nutrition.
- Safe and supportive environments for nutrition at all ages.
- Strengthened governance and accountability for nutrition.
As part of the mid-term review process of the Nutrition Decade, the joint Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)/World Health Organization (WHO) Secretariat of the Nutrition Decade has reviewed progress made during the years 2016-2020 and suggests a plan forward for the period 2021-2025, which was presented in a Foresight paper and identified through informal dialogues with different stakeholder's groups.
The Nutrition Decade seeks commitments from the highest levels of government to lead all relevant stakeholders for urgent, sustained and coherent nutrition action. The UN Nutrition Secretariat invites stakeholders and the wider public to provide insights on the proposed focus areas for priority action1 within each of the above-mentioned six Action Areas for the next five years of the Nutrition Decade.
This process to seek feedback through the FSN Forum consists of two different components that complement each other: an online consultation available in the six UN languages and a short online survey in English. The online consultation gives stakeholders the opportunity to discuss their views and share suggestions on priority actions they believe stakeholders should be taken in the coming five years to contribute to ending all forms of malnutrition. The online survey aims to collect mainly data in a structured way on this topic. It shall take approximately 10 minutes of your time. We invite you to take part in both activities or to choose the one that allows you to share the most relevant input and expertise.
The online survey can be accessed here
For those wishing to participate in the online consultation, we welcome your input and insights along, but not exclusively, the following questions:
- What are the top three priority actions on nutrition within each of the six Action Areas that should be prioritized by stakeholders going forward, in order to make a difference in nutrition and contribute to ending all forms of malnutrition?
- Priority focus areas are being tentatively proposed as per the table below. Please indicate if any key elements are missing. Please note that the online survey inquires more specifically about the priority focus areas.
- Which are key cross-cutting actions that would facilitate interlinkages and create synergies between Action Areas?
- What do you think are the top three emerging issues and/or trends likely to hamper the achievement of the global nutrition targets? What would you like to see done to address them?
Your contributions to the online consultation and the online survey results will be compiled and analyzed by the UN Nutrition and the Nutrition Decade Secretariats. The results will inform the next five years of the Nutrition Decade. A summary of the input received will be made publicly available on the FSN Forum website and UNNutrition.org and may be considered in official reporting mechanisms (e.g. UN Nutrition reports).
The online survey and the online consultation are open until 14th June 2021.
We thank you very much in advance for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Your input will be very important in shaping effective action for the next five years of the Nutrition Decade to address malnutrition in all its forms, leaving no one behind.
Executive Secretary of UN Nutrition
Proposed tentative priority focus for the next five years of the Nutrition Decade2
|Action Area 1: Sustainable, resilient food systems for healthy diets|
|Action Area 2: Aligned health systems providing universal coverage of essential nutrition actions|
|Action Area 3: Social protection and nutrition education|
|Action Area 4: Trade and investment for improved nutrition|
|Action Area 5: Safe and supportive environments for nutrition at all ages|
|Action Area 6: Strengthened governance and accountability for nutrition|
1These proposed focus areas for priority action are specified in the table.
2FAO & WHO. 2018. Strengthening nutrition action: A resource guide for countries based on the policy recommendations of the Second International Conference on Nutrition (ICN2). Rome, Italy. 112 pp. [Cited 25 November 2018]. www.fao.org/3/ca1505en/CA1505EN.pdf; Joint FAO/WHO Secretariat of the Nutrition Decade. 2020. Mid-term review foresight paper [online]. [Cited 30 March 2021]. www.un.org/nutrition/sites/www.un.org.nutrition/files/general/pdf/nutrition_decade_mtr_background_paper_en.pdf
This activity is now closed. Please contact [email protected] for any further information.