33rd session - Rome, Italy, 9-13 May 2016
“Promoting Food Security, blue growth and empowerment of small-scale farmers and women in NENA region”
The FAO Regional Conference for the Near East (NERC), like the rest of the regional Conferences, meets once every two years to discuss priority issues for agriculture and rural development in the region. The upcoming event will be the thirty third session of NERC (NERC33) and will be held in Rome, Italy from 9 to 13 May, 2016.
Issues tabled for discussion at NERC33 were elaborated in close consultation with the Near East Group of Permanent Representatives to FAO who are based in Rome and with the Chair of NERC, H.E. the Minister of Agriculture of Lebanon, Mr. Akram Chouhaib. These include topics like the contribution of livestock to food security in the Near East and North Africa (NENA), the implementation of the Blue Growth Initiative in the region, and the empowerment of small-scale farmers and women in NENA. In addition, the Conference will be briefed on the progress the Regional Office made in the implementation of the recommendations of the previous session of NERC that took place in Rome in 2014. Programme and budget matters will also be discussed, focusing on FAO priority activities in the region, including the achievements of the three Regional Initiatives, ie “Building Resilience for Food Security and Nutrition”; “The Regional Initiative on Small-Scale Agriculture for Inclusive Development”; and “Water Scarcity Initiative”, as well as the decentralization process.
The Conference will start with a three-day meeting for Senior Officers designated by their governments, followed by a Ministerial Meeting on 12 and 13 May 2016. Ministers of Agriculture from member countries in the region as well as from observer countries are invited to NERC33 as well as representatives from sister UN agencies, International Governmental Organisations and Non-Governmental Organisations.
Twitter hashtag: #NERC33
- Opening of the Senior Officers Meeting (morning session) - 09.05.2016
- Senior Officers Meeting (afternoon session) - 09.05.2016
- Side Event: Planting the seeds of sustainability - 11.05.2016
- Side Event: On the road to Marrakech/COP22 - 11.05.2016
- Side Event: Building an effective Regional Dialogue on Food Security and Nutrition in the Near East and North Africa Region - 11.05.2016
- Ministerial Meeting - 12.05.2016
- Side Event: Food Security, Stability and Peace: The Role of FAO - 12.05.2016
- Closing of the Conference - 13.05.2016
- FAO seeks to broaden scope of Regional Initiatives to address systemic risks in NENA
- NENA Forests Need Paradigm Shift, Sustainable Practices
- Hunger and conflicts walk hand in hand: Opinion Article by FAO-Director General José Graziano da Silva
- Calls for Evidence-Based Action Plans to Limit Food Losses, Waste
- FAO sets 5-10-year timeframe to apply Blue Growth Initiative
- Near East countries gather to discuss shared food security priorities
- The Thirty Third Session of the FAO Regional Conference for the Near East starts on May 9 in Rome