High-level Event - Step It Up Together with Rural Women to End Hunger and Poverty - Morning Session
The High-Level event is jointly organized by FAO, the Slovak Presidency of the Council of the European Union, and the European Commission, in close collaboration with IFAD, WFP, and UN Women.
This High-level Event represents a contribution to the call of UN Women to “Step It Up for Gender Equality”. It will offer an interactive platform for Members, UN entities, the international community, civil society and other stakeholders to address the structural causes and consequences of gender inequality in rural areas.
It will provide the opportunity to identify the main challenges, gaps, opportunities and collaborative actions for unleashing the potential of rural women and girls to end food insecurity and poverty. Moreover, it will highlight what needs to be done differently to achieve the 2030 vision for rural women and girls.
- Address by José Graziano da Silva, Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO
- Address by Neven Mimica, European Union Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development
- Address by Her Excellency Gabriela Matečná, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development of the Slovak Republic – Slovak Presidency of the Council of the European Union
- Address by Kanayo F. Nwanze, President of the International Fund for Agricultural Development, IFAD
- Address by Denise Brown, Director of Emergencies, World Food Programme, WFP
- Address by Maria Noel Vaeza, Director of Programmes, UN Women
Session moderated by: Marieta Okenkova, Slovak Presidency of the Council of the European Union
- Address by Her Excellency Dr. Ameenah Gurib-Fakim, President of the Republic of Mauritius;
- Address by Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Sustainable Development Goals Advocate
- Address by Her Excellency Sika Bella Kaboré, First Lady of Burkina Faso
- Address by Tawakkol Karman, Nobel Peace Prize laureate (2011)
Session moderated by: MariaHelena Semedo, Deputy Director General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO
About FAO webcast
The FAO webcast page provides live transmissions of events held at FAO headquarters.
(The interpretation of proceedings serves to facilitate communication and does not constitute an authentic or verbatim record of the proceedings. Only the original speech is authentic)