1-4 April 2014, Bucharest, Romania
The twenty-ninth FAO European Regional Conference (ERC) and the thirty-eighth session of the European Commission on Agriculture (ECA) “Conference Week” will be held at the Romanian Palace of Parliament in Bucharest, Romania, from 29 March to 4 April 2014.
The major topic for the Ministerial Round Table of the ERC will focus on “Food losses and waste in Europe and Central Asia”. The documentation will improve understanding of underlying causes of food losses and waste (FLW) along selected food supply chains in developing countries of European and Central Asia region and raise awareness on the need for introduction of appropriate policy interventions to mitigate the impact of FLW on food security and incomes of smallholders in the region.
At the ECA session major discussions will include, inter alia, “Cooperatives and their alternatives”. The purpose of the item is to provide information on how to build value chains in the region that include smallholder farming and raise the incomes of small farms.
Further topics to be discussed are “Agri-Food Systems for Better Nutrition or risk-based drought management”.
The conference week in Bucharest also includes an NGOs/CSOs Consultation meeting on 29 and 30 March 2014, and the CFS Multi-stakeholder Dialogue, which will discuss inter alia a follow-up regarding Responsible Agriculture Investment and will be organized on 31 March 2014 in the afternoon.
Provisional Agenda [PDF]
Twitter hashtag: #ERC29
- 4 April 2014, Bucharest – Countries chart a two-year course on food, nutrition and agriculture across Europe and Central Asia
- 3 April 2014, Bucharest – Agriculture officials condemn unnecessary loss and waste of good food
- 2 April 2014, Bucharest – Climate change, malnutrition, family farming and agri-food trade on FAO radar
- 2 April 2014, Bucharest - Climate change, food prices, malnutrition and sustainable family farming on FAO radar [Audio]
- 1 April 2014, Bucharest – Europe, Central Asia not without nutrition woes [Audio]
- 1 April 2014, Bucharest – Europe and Central Asia not without nutrition woes
- 31 March 2014 - What a Waste! Opinion piece by José Graziano da Silva
- 17 March 2014, Budapest, Hungary - Regional meeting to look at future of family farms
- 27 February, Budapest, Hungary - Romania supports neighbors at FAO regional meeting
- 18 February, Budapest, Hungary - Ministers to discuss food losses and waste in the region