In carrying out its mandate, the FAO Regional Office for Africa:
- Maintains policy and technical dialogue with and among FAO Member Countries, involving national and regional institutions;
- Promotes technical cooperation among the countries of the Region using a multidisciplinary approach;
- Reports on the major developments and trends in countries of the Region, based on Regional and Sub-regional objectives for food and agriculture;
- Follows up on the World Food Summit and issues related to Food Security in the Region;
- Organizes the FAO Regional Conference for Africa (ARC), every two years.