FAO Award for Innovation
Innovation is changing the way food is produced, processed, traded and consumed and building more efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems.
The FAO Award for Innovation recognizes ground-breaking innovations in areas under FAO’s mandate to Members or non-state partners, including institutions, individuals, international/regional organizations, academic or research entities, civil society groups, private sector entities and FAO employees.
The winning institution/organization demonstrates that they successfully contributed to an area of work related to FAO’s mandate, meeting one or all of the following criteria:
Award specific criteria:
- Have an impact on more than one level of the supply chain from farmers to consumers.
- Strengthen the link between farmers and consumers, e.g., through tracking sustainability features of traded food and agriculture products on labels, innovative institutional mechanisms etc.
- Quality and merit of the innovation
- Potential benefit, impact and sustainability
- Value for money
- Role of youth (under 35), and/or women, and/or marginalized groups
Proposals for nominations presented by national, regional or global institutions should be submitted to FAO Representatives (in countries with an accredited FAO Representative) or to FAO Regional and Subregional Representatives (in countries with no accredited FAO Representative), as appropriate, for submission to the Awards Secretariat by 24 July 2022.
The Award is conferred for activities and programmes with remarkable achievements during the biennium preceding the current one. The Award will be presented by the Director-General to the individual or representative of the recipient institution during a special ceremony at the 171st session of the FAO Council 5-9 December 2022.
End May - Call for nominations
July - Close call
August- September - Screening
October - November- Selection
December - Ceremony