Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 10 to 14 March 2014
The 32nd session of the FAO Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific will convene in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia 10 to 14 March 2014, hosted by the Ministry of Industry and Agriculture. The conference will focus on the opportunities and challenges in the region and priority areas of work to improve food security and nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to sustainable economic growth.
Agriculture ministers from 46 countries in the region are expected to attend. Representatives from international non-governmental organizations, intergovernmental organizations, United Nations organizations, civil society organizations and the media are also expected to attend as invited observers.
In the first two days, from 10 to 11 March, senior government officers will hold in-depth discussions focusing on regional and global policy and regulatory issues in the Asia-Pacific region. The main topics of discussion will be the state of food and agriculture in the region, outcomes of the committee on World Food Security (CFS), meeting farmers’ aspirations in the context of green development, and restoration of grasslands and forests for climate change mitigation and adaptation. Programme and budget matters will also be discussed, focusing on FAO priority activities in the region as well as the decentralization process.
On 13 and 14 March, a two-day ministerial segment will follow, focusing on measures to speed up progress of alleviating hunger in Asia-Pacific countries. A round table on the double burden of malnutrition will be held on the last day of the conference.
Provisional Agenda [PDF]
Twitter hashtag: #APRC32
- FAO sign South-South Cooperation agreement (Phase II) during APRC
- Mongolia joins the Save Food Asia-Pacific Campaign
Audio News @ FAO
- David Dawe, Senior Economist at FAO, elaborates on the state of Food and Agriculture in the region and what governments need to do going forward.
- Thierry Facon, senior water management officer at FAO, explains the importance of small scale and family farming in the region, as well as the particular challenges being faced by these farmers in Asia and the Pacific.
- 14 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - Asia-Pacific countries adopt roadmap to push toward goal of zero hunger
- 14 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - Asia-Pacific countries adopt roadmap to push toward goal of zero hunger and improvements in food security
- 14 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - A statement by FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva - FAO-China-Mongolia Tripartite South-South Cooperation
- 14 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - FAO paper says high time for Asia-Pacific’s agricultural workers to become prime beneficiaries in the transition to sustainable agriculture and management of natural resources
- 13 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - A statement by FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva - FAO Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific - Thirty-Second Session
- 13 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - Countries in Asia and the Pacific urged to take up the Zero Hunger Challenge
- 13 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - As hunger retreats in Asia and the Pacific, the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization goes on the offensive
- 12 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - FAO Director-General urges all countries in Asia and the Pacific to take up the National Zero Hunger Challenge
- 12 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - Climate change threatening small island countries and posing a danger to food security in landlocked states
- 12 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - Erosion of forests and grasslands triggers alarm bells in Asia and the Pacific
- 11 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia – Pacific island countries urged to produce more healthy local foods at competitive prices
- 11 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - Rice is life: A regional rice strategy for sustainable food security in Asia and the Pacific
- 10 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - Asia and the Pacific must increase food production to meet future demand
- 10 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - FAO Thirty-Second Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific Convenes
- 8 March 2014, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - Asia-Pacific Civil Society Organizations meet on food and agriculture